Monday, July 9, 2012

Mask Face

This is what I call mask face. When I have radiation treatments, I wear a mask that keeps my head, neck, and shoulders in the exact same position every time. It covers from above my head down to about mid-chest, going across my shoulders. It is made of semi-soft meshy plastic that was molded to me. The only opening is a tiny little nose hole to breathe through. But let's be honest here, it is really HARD to breathe through that TINY hole! It is kind of like breathing through a snorkel for the first time; at first you are taking breaths but feeling like you aren't getting any air and you're suffocating, then all of a sudden you realize you are getting a tiny bit of air, but just enough to get by.

If you look closely, you can see the impressions from the meshy plastic. And a beautiful zit on my forehead-a precursor to the Erbitux rash.


Here is a picture of a mask that is just like the one I wear. This one is on display in the lobby, so they have the clips wrapped around the back of the head. Normally, you would be laying on your back, and the mask would cover your face and the clips would reach down to the table and connect to the edge. There is a clip at the top of your head, one each side of your head, and two at the shoulders







No comments:

Post a Comment