Thursday, August 9, 2012

Good news

I had another check up with the Speech Pathologist today. She was completely amazed at how well I'm doing at this point. Still talking. Still have taste buds. Still eating and drinking. And my skin barely looks red.

She said that my symptoms really won't get any worse at this point, just the pain. Which is great because still being able to do all these things makes getting through the treatments and the pain so much more bearable.

They told me of a man who came in just a few days ago, and after just 4 radiation treatments, his mouth was all cracked and bleeding. I'm on treatment #26 today.

It really is amazing that I am feeling so well this far into treatments. I do have a lot of fatigue, but not near as much as I expected. My pain is very manageable with medications. Previously, I had imagined months of laying in bed, withering in pain, missing my kids and family, while the world went on around me. We have also been so incredibly blessed with amazing friends and family members so willing to help watch the kids, bring us dinners, and support us through this trial.

It is an undeniable testament that the Lord is blessing and watching over my family and I. To have so many loving people placed in our lives. To be guided to the absolute BEST doctors. And to have been blessed with endurance and had my symptoms and pain relieved. I can not imagine going through this without Him.

To learn more about my beliefs, click here.

6 comments:

  1. Amber and Robbie, I didn't know until today, when I found out on facebook, that you were going through all this. Amber- I'm glad to hear that the treatments are going so well, although they sound hard. You are so brave. I was just thinking about you the other day, how helpful you were when Max and Maya were born. I wish that we were closer so I could offer you support. You will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber I'm so glad you are writing this blog! I read every post this morning and we will keep praying for you! Do you mind if I post it on Facebook? Lots of first ward friends would love to see your progress. We all love you and are praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much Missy! You are welcome to post the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing this Amber. So honest, so brave. You are so amazing. I remember at the wedding how hoarse you were and how strange that you had been like that for months. I'm so glad they found it (even if it was a bit late) and that you are almost finished with all your treatments and doing so well. We are praying for you and love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the post! Love that you are such a champ and so tough! Praying for you everyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your friend, Pam came to a concert I was performing in the other night and shared your story with my husband. I think it's wonderful how you're facing your challenges with such a great attitude and such faith! Your example is so much bigger than you know! Good luck on the rest of your treatments...I hope they continue to go well!!
    Tanya Barkdull
    (One Clear Voice)

    ReplyDelete